Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Start of Week 2

It isn't the end of the week but I don't want these posts to be too lengthy. So here is Saturday-Tuesday.

August 23, 2014
Harley and I walked down to Soho today. Which is an incredibly long walk. But it was so worth the sore legs and blisters since a large part of Broadway was closed off for a street fair of some sort. There were vendors, lemonade stands, BBQ pits, and empanada carts lining both sides of the street for at least five blocks.
I made a bee-line straight for Topshop not only because I get a student discount there, but mostly because I used to spend hours on my laptop gaping at their website, wishing I could shop there. I purchased my all-black outfit for fashion week. The best part is that the pants were marked at $76 and rang up at $35. Surprise sales are the best.
Har and I split off after that, with her spending another four hours shopping and me slowly making my way back towards campus. Naturally I stopped in Zara, J. Crew, and DSW before I could get to school, but somehow I managed not to buy anything (I now have a new-found appreciation for the J. Crew outlet prices back at home).
Later that night we walked to Rockefeller Plaza and stopped in Saks on the way home. I guess changing into a baggy t-shirt, leggings, and sneakers was not the best idea I've had. I blended in pretty well at Bryant park on the walk back, where three men were performing some Shakespeare in the park.
Needless to say, after upwards of 150 blocks of walking in a few short hours, my feet might just fall off in my sleep. Shout-out to any pro-city-goers- how do you manage to wear cute shoes (or even sneakers) and walk a lot without feeling like death? Thanks.












August 24, 2014
I went to H&M with Brandon and Kenny so Brandon could get a black shirt for fashion week. I got a cute sweatshirt for Austin but it looks a little small; I'm not too sure if it's going to fit his 6 1/2 year old body. We stopped in Macy's for a bit, then sat at a table in Herald Square before heading back to campus. 
This afternoon I took the one train with the boys to Columbus Circle. After quite the walk through Central Park, we stopped at Barney's. A man was shopping with a miniature pinscher which brings back memories of being chased over the railroad tracks and nearly being attacked by one in Covington last year. 
We walked back to Columbus Circle and took the 1 train home, but not before stopping for an over-filling meal at Chipotle. 
Harley discovered a frozen yogurt place that offers students a 10% discount so we decided to try it out. It's on 6th towards 19th if I remember correctly, and wow was it good! I got tahitian vanilla with mango sorbet, added in a few cookie dough chunks and salted caramel drops and my night was made. We ate in front of the Flatiron building which is one of my favorite things in New York.
A bunch of us watched the VMA's on Stevie's TV that night. Of course, 5SOS smashed it.












August 26, 2014
Yesterday was the first day of classes. I love how many more people are on campus now- it really seems to have come alive. No matter where you go, someone is running around with their arms full of art supplies, fueling the creative vibes that New York offers.
Tonight, the boys and I went to Chelsea Piers, stopping at Chelsea Market for gelato on the way. Naturally I got the spicy chocolate gelato. It was a more mild version of the spicy chocolate gelato at Sicilia Cafe in Red Bank. Chelsea Piers is a larger, fancier Riverfront Park (for anyone familiar with Point). The carousel was sadly closed and locked up, but it was a beautiful sight. You could even vaguely see the Statue of Liberty in the distance, but it didn't photograph well on my phone. 










Week 2 random fact and thought:
I almost cried talking to my dad on the phone a few days ago, and I realized why I get more emotional with him than anyone else. He isn't as social media savvy as anyone else in the family. I can't message him on Facebook, snapchat him, or text and call him throughout the day like I can with my mom and sister. At least I figured it out. 

2 comments:

  1. Just became a huge fan of your blog...
    Love reading about your life in new york, I definitly want to got to college there

    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really is a great place to learn with the entire city as your campus!

      Delete